On April 18th, PeopleFund welcomes Alamo Drafthouse Founder & CEO, Tim League to share his journey from movie lover to CEO of Austin’s most popular theaters. As always, lunch is included with the cost of registration. Join us as we learn from one of our community’s most successful entrepreneurs and participate in Q&A.
- When: Thursday, April 18th
- Where: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema Village
- When: 11:30am
- Cost: $10 earlybird pricing before April 1st, $20 regular admission after April 1st
In 1995, Tim League and his wife Karrie loaded a truck with 200 seats, a projector, screen and speakers and headed to Austin, Texas to start the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, where he remains as CEO today. League also co-founded Fantastic Fest, the largest genre film festival in the United States; and Drafthouse Films, a distribution label which released the critically acclaimed Jihadi-comedy Four Lions in 2010.
When asked about his motivation in opening a movie theater in the first place, “What we set out to do in the very beginning was to make a movie theater by fans for fans. And we got into the business because we love movies and we got a little frustrated with our options as to what the movie theater experience was all about”.
Past PeopleTalk Speaker Series Leaders
This December, PeopleFund welcomed Roy Spence and Judy Trabulsi of GSD&M and The Purpose Institute to discuss how they formed their own business and the impact of the new presidential administration on small businesses in our community. As chairman of GSD&M, Roy continues to inspire the folks at the agency. In 2008 he and Haley Rushing coauthored the Wall Street Journal bestselling book, It’s Not What You Sell, It’s What You Stand For: Why Every Extraordinary Business is Driven by Purpose, and in 2010 he launched his hot sauce line.
Under Roy’s leadership, GSD&M has helped grow some of the world’s most successful brands like Southwest Airlines, Walmart, DreamWorks, the PGA TOUR, BMW, the U.S. Air Force, Hallmark and the Clinton Global Initiative. Roy has been a trusted adviser to legendary leaders, including Sam Walton and Southwest Airlines’ founder, Herb Kelleher. His counsel has also been sought by U.S. Presidents and leaders in the State Department and the Department of Defense. Roy has been married 32 years and has three children. He is a member of the board of directors of the Conscious Capitalism Institute, the Lyndon Baines Johnson Foundation and is a Distinguished Alumnus of the University of Texas.
PeopleTalk has featured speakers such as
- John Paul DeJoria, entrepreneur, philanthropist and renaissance thinker. Founder of Paul Mitchell Systems and the Grow Appalachia Project.
- Evan Smith, former editor of Texas Monthly Magazine and founder and editor of The Texas Tribune.
- Dr. Mohammed Yunus, founder of the Grameen Bank and an internationally renowned leader in micro-lending
- Dr. Manuel Pastor, a nationally recognized expert on equitable community development
- Jeremy Nowak, CEO of The Reinvestment Fund in Philadelphia, a leading organization for revitalizing low-income areas in the Northeastern United States
- Dr. Angela Blackwell, Founder and CEO of PolicyLink and a leading expert on race relations and equitable development
- Professor john a. powell, Executive Director of The Kirwan Institute of the Study of Race and Ethnicity
- Cecilia Estolano, Cities Strategist for Green for All. Click here for a transcript of her presentation.
PeopleFund offers scholarships for non-profit organizations, students and GoLocal cardholders. For more information, email us or call us at 512.472.8087. Know someone you think we should invite to speak? Email us.